Welcome to the Ultimate solution to the Defender TDCI worn output shaft kit:
On the Defender 2.4 and 2.2 Tdci it is a very common fault that the coupling shaft between the MT82 gearbox and the Lt230 transfer box wears out and fails! Land Rover assembled the splined coupling dry on the production track, leading to premature failure of the splines. Symptoms of this failure include:
- Clunking on take up of drive
- Clunking when deacclerating
- Total loss of drive
This solutions removes the coupling that fails all together, thus removing the weak link in the drivetrain! The shaft is made as a solid 1 piece design as per older LR drivetrain designs, Incorporating a single draw bolt down the centre of the shaft, ensuring that the shaft is retained tight to the back of the Mt82 gearbox.
What is included in the kit?
- 1x EXTREME spec Solid output shaft,
- 1x M12 long cap head draw bolt
- 1x Nord lock washer set (M12)
- 1x Special retaining bolt adapter
- 1x Genuine Coretco MT82 rear drive shaft seal
- 1x EAC Transfer box seal
- 1x M22 grub screw slide hammer adapter (DO NOT INSTALL WITH SHAFT! KEEP IN THE TOOL BOX)
- Remove Transfer box
- Remove adapter shaft housing
- Use a slide hammer to remove the old output shaft
- Next remove the retaining nut from the back of the gearbox using a 30mm 6 point impact socket and gun.
- In order to remove the female-female coupling, use a 2 or 3 legged puller and extract the coupling, using the original retaining bolt in the center to press against
- Next remove the old MT82 gearbox seal
- Clean the back face of the gearbox thoroughly using brake cleaner
- Next install the new seal into the back of the gearbox, ensuring that the seal goes in square and undamaged (This is critical, wrong installation can cause leaks)
- Now take the adapter bolt and apply Loctite to the outside thread. Wind the bolt into the back of the gearbox main-shaft, Set the bolt to a torque of 75Nm using a ½” Torque wrench. (put gearbox in 6th gear to achieve this)
- Now take the solid Output shaft and lightly grease the female spline, as well as priming the seal land with grease. (note too much can cause a hydraulic effect)
- Insert the shaft into the back of the gearbox, using a copper/ hide mallet to knock the shaft onto the splines square.
- .Once the shaft is well seated onto the gearbox, place the pair of nordlock washers onto the M12 retaining bolt, and add Loctite to the M12 male thread on the bolt.
- Slide the draw bolt into the back of the output shaft, and tighten by hand.
- Next torque the M12 Cap-head bolt to 57Nm
- Now prime the transfer box spline and transfer box seal with grease.
- ALL ITEMS ARE DISPATCHED FROM THE UK. IMPORT DUTIES MAYBE PAYABLE ON INTERNATIONAL ORDERS. UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED OTHERWISE OUR PRODUCTS ARE NOT SUITABLE FOR THE NEW SHAPE (2020+) DEFENDERS.